The Aerospace Department (https://aero.uc3m.es/) of the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M), Spain (www.uc3m.es) invites applications to fill 2 PhD positions:
- Ref. AERO-PhD-22-01-AI-Climate. Artificial Intelligence and Climate Change with application to aviation.
- Ref. AERO-PhD-22-02-AI-Weather. Artificial Intelligence and Meteorology with application to aviation.
The successful candidates will join the Dynamics and Control in Aerospace Systems Lab, within the Aero Research Group (http://aero.uc3m.es/research.html). In particular, they will work in the aircraft operations lab with Prof. Manuel Soler and Prof. Javier García-Heras (https://aircraftoperationslab.com/).
The duties of the new group members include:
- To pursue a PhD under the topic:
- Ref. AERO_PhD-22-01-AI-Climate. The goal is to develop deep learning arquitectures to better understating the non-CO2 climate impact of aviation. See https://aircraftoperationslab.com/artificial-intelligence-and-aviation/
- Ref. AERO_PhD-22-02-AI-Weather. The goal is to develop deep learning arquitectures to improve the prediction of weather phenomena at airport level, including visibility and windshear. See https://aircraftoperationslab.com/artificial-intelligence-and-aviation/
- To develop different tasks in the recently granted National Projects STORM-ATS and Intelmet-PoC, all of them fully aligned with the PhD thesis topics.
- Access to the Spanish FPI scholarship (granted together with the project STORM-ATS)
- To teach laboratory/exercises classes and supervise student projects within UC3M Bachelor and master’s degrees in Aeronautical and Space Engineering. Teaching workload (if any) would be in any case low. Information on these two degrees, exclusively taught in English, is available at aero.uc3m.es.
- To contribute establishing a vigorous, internationally competitive scientific research program.
The desired skills are:
- Outstanding academic record.
- Young MSc holder (or MSc student with 60 ECTS passed at contract’s signature) with background in Aerospace Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Control Engineering, Applied Mathematics & Statistics, Optimization, Computer Science, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Environmental Sciences & Climate Change, Meteorology. Also, candidates with tracks in other disciplines but outstanding academic record are invited to apply.
- International experience; team-working and communications skills.
- Ability to deal independently with scientific and engineering challenges, mainly in innovative, interdisciplinary technologies
The contractual conditions are:
- 4-year contract.
- Annual gross salary: 22000-24000€ range (salary supplements may be awarded by UC3M internal calls)
- Become part of a young, dynamic, highly qualified, collaborative team.
- Flexible working environment and schedule.
- Opportunity to travel to international conferences (Europe and oversees) and present research activities, including research stays in top universities.
- Laptop and
- Health coverage under the National Health System.
How to apply: Interested candidates must send their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating in the e-mail subject the reference code (i.e. Ref. AERO-PhD-22-XX-YYY) of the preferred position (it may be both), including:
- a CV (max. 4 pages).
- a motivation letter of experience, interests and future goals (max. 1 pages)
- the contact information for two professional references.
Submission of applications is due to January 26th (though early applications are strongly encouraged). Position is expected to be completed in March 2023 and contract is to begin in May/June 2023 (though it might be earlier/latter if agreed).